Bequest by Will or Trust

A Legacy of Giving

Including a charitable bequest in your will is a simple way to make a lasting gift to your community. When you make this gift through the Greater Grand Island Community Foundation, we establish a special fund in your name that benefits the community forever and becomes your personal legacy of giving. You can decide to do it at any age, by adding to an existing will or drafting a new one. In doing so you leave a legacy to your community while enjoying the assets you need to maintain your current lifestyle. Plus, you are able to distribute some or all of your assets, tax-free.

When defining your bequest, you can specify that the Foundation receives a stated dollar amount, a specific piece of property, a percentage of your total estate, the remainder of your estate after distributions to other beneficiaries, or you can make your gift contingent on certain events.

Example Story

Giving to Separate Worlds

Several years after Dan and Bev's children became independent, they decided it was time to update their will. Dan and Bev, now retired, had been successful farmers and accumulated a generous pool of assets over the years. Plus, both of them were active members in their small rural community. The couple met with their professional advisor to determine how they could leave an inheritance to their children as well as a gift to their community. With the help of their advisor, they determined that 90% of their estate will be distributed to their children and the remaining 10% will be used to create the Dan and Bev Doe Fund, which will benefit programs in their community. Since the gift will be endowed, it will provide gifts to their small rural community for many decades to come.

Learn More

There is so much more we'd like you to know. For more information and ideas on ways to integrate charitable giving with your financial plan, ask your financial advisor or contact the Greater Grand Island Community Foundation at (308) 381-7767 or online. We will be happy to work with you and/or your advisor to determine the most effective ways to accomplish your charitable goals.

Turning Passion into Purpose.